+ Reply to Thread
Discuss Shut Down/Restart Mysteriously on Its own... at the Bugs and Issues within the HTC Evo 4G Forums, Evo 3D Forums , and Evo View Forums; I have had two main issues so far. 1. Battery Life and 2. Phone mysteriously shuts down/restarts on its own. ...
    Thanks

Shut Down/Restart Mysteriously on Its own...

I have had two main issues so far. 1. Battery Life and 2. Phone mysteriously shuts down/restarts on its own. I have contacted Sprint about both issues and I am taking the phone into a Sprint store. Customer Support was helpful and informed of an app that I can use to "kill" any running background apps. I have noticed that using this app has helped sustain the battery life but I am still having issues with the phone mysteriously shutting down/restarting. At first, my fiance (who also has the same phone but no issues), thought it was a built in updater but I assume that wasn't the issue when I was in mid conversation with my brother and the phone decided to shut down/restart on its own. Again, I noticed this in the middle of the night when the phone is plugged in to the charger. It woke me up three times shutting down and restarting! Furthermore, I also noticed that this happened when it was not connected to the charger. Mind you, I have only had the phone for 5 days and I am new to it. At the moment I am "playing around" with certain variables to see if it is something I am doing. So far, I have not seen a distinct pattern. I am taking the phone into Sprint tomorrow and I will post an update.

Thanks
    As for the battery life, this may help: Sprint Offers Tips on Maximizing Battery Life on HTC EVO 4G

"1. Add widgets to your HTC Sense homescreen to control the radios (Bluetooth, WiFi, 4G)

2. Use the widgets to turn off select radios when not in use. If you're not using 4G, switch it off and fall back on 3G instead to gain better battery life.

3. Turn off network roaming. By default, roaming is turned on for the HTC EVO 4G out of the box, which means that the phone scans for the strongest CDMA/EV-DO signal. If you've got great Sprint coverage where you are and don't need to roam onto one of Sprint's partner carriers, turn off roaming so the phone doesn't need to constantly search for the best signal.

4. Turn on automatic brightness so the screen can adjust in light and dark environments rather than having brightness turned all the way up. Alternatively, you can also set the screen brightness lower by default.

5. Turn off live wallpapers--they're pretty, but they do use a little bit of extra processing power.

6. Carry an extra battery or plug into a car charger when you can. "

As for the shutting down issue, I would honestly look at getting a replacement while you are still within a return policy.

Thanks
    Morning Kimberly,

In reference to the battery life, you have a couple of options...

1) Advanced Task Killer (app market) - definitely helpful in managing applications that you aren't using to save on battery life
    2) Settings>Wireless network>Mobile network (uncheck) - when you’re not surfing the web, have friend stream on, emailing, etc... definitely turn this off to reduce consumption
    3) Setting>Sound & display>Brightness>Automatic brightness (checked) - reduces cost on power
    4) Live wallpapers - great eye candy, but not necessary. It'll definitely cut on consumption

x) Rooting your device *moderate to advance users* - See instructions & results on the test I conducted... absolutely shocking!

Any of the combinations you will find effective; but for me rooting w/ overclock widget was the most successful.

I hope we were able to assist; good luck

Thanks

Sprint Store Outcome...

Well, I went into the store today and a technician looked at my phone. Ironically, while I was describing the issue to the woman at the counter, my phone reset three times. The touch screen decided not to work as well as the buttons at the bottom. She just looked at me and said "we will have our technician look it over and it will be ready in an hour." So, I went back into the store and it was VERY crowded. I gave them my ticket and within just a few minutes the technician came out to talk with me. I was pretty impressed with the service considering the line was pretty much out the door. I was told that my phone was not fixable and I was guaranteed a new phone by tomorrow. Apparently, some phones are just not up to par. Kudos to Sprint, though, for jumping on the issue as quickly as possible. My advice to anyone who purchases the EVO (or for any phone of that caliber and price)...get insurance and make sure that if you encounter issues within the 30 day return period...take it into the store. They fixed me right up and I am sure they will do the same for you, as well. I am frustrated that my phone turned out to be a lemon but at least Sprint is doing its best to fix the issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Well, I went into the store today and a technician looked at my phone. Ironically, while I was describing the issue to the woman at the counter, my phone reset three times. The touch screen decided not to work as well as the buttons at the bottom. She just looked at me and said "we will have our technician look it over and it will be ready in an hour." So, I went back into the store and it was VERY crowded. I gave them my ticket and within just a few minutes the technician came out to talk with me. I was pretty impressed with the service considering the line was pretty much out the door. I was told that my phone was not fixable and I was guaranteed a new phone by tomorrow. Apparently, some phones are just not up to par. Kudos to Sprint, though, for jumping on the issue as quickly as possible. My advice to anyone who purchases the EVO (or for any phone of that caliber and price)...get insurance and make sure that if you encounter issues within the 30 day return period...take it into the store. They fixed me right up and I am sure they will do the same for you, as well. I am frustrated that my phone turned out to be a lemon but at least Sprint is doing its best to fix the issue.
    Been with them since '99 for a reason

Thanks
    Took my htc to the tech my cell kept turning on and off 12 times in 5 hours battery died but already had battery issues it started when I up loaded the "killer"app yesterday to help me with my battery issue. Know I'm waiting to see the tech let's see what happens know I hope the tech fix my problem or gives my a new cell

Thanks
    I am a Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy and I know that there was an issue with the 1st batch of phones that were made (Grey back cover) They were shutting off randomly and the front glass was detaching itself from the phone. The second batch of EVO's (Black back Cover) has corrected those issues. So what I would do is return the phone and hopefully you will get 1 of the phones from the second batch. If you look at the backs of the phones, you will notice the difference in color.

Thanks
    My phone shuts down on it's own too!!! I have the black back so the grey back scenario doesn't work for me. I also receive error messages that make me press a button to "force close". Sometimes my buttons nor my touch screen work so i have to remove the battery, add it back and restart the phone. It seems to be okay for a couple days after that but then I still run into the same situation. I called Sprint Customer Service - they suggested I reset the phone and if that doesn't work take it to the repair store and if they deep it unfixable they can direct me to a point of sale location where I can possibly get a replacement. Seems like alot of work! I never had these issues with my Blackberry. I love the phone when it does work correctly so i'm going to do what they told me. I'll let you guys know what happens. Wish me luck!

+ Reply to Thread