+ Reply to Thread
Discuss Keeps Rebooting at the Bugs and Issues within the HTC Evo 4G Forums, Evo 3D Forums , and Evo View Forums; For no apparent reason, my Evo will decide to reboot, the HTC logo comes on, then after awhile the Sprint ...
    Thanks

Keeps Rebooting

For no apparent reason, my Evo will decide to reboot, the HTC logo comes on, then after awhile the Sprint 4G logo, then it goes to my home screen for a few seconds, then starts all over again. The only way I've stopped it is by taking the battery out for about an hour. Then when I put it back in, it's usually OK. I work this phone hard, as i'm a real estate agent, so it's super irritating when I have to shut down for awhile. Would love some advice.

Thanks
    Cheyenne,
    Howdy and welcome to the forums! I had a similar issue a while back with my evo, but I'm not quite sure that it's the same cause. Are you running a custom ROM? or the factory one? And does the problem happen when you're plugged into the charger?
    If the device stays up and doesn't reboot when it's plugged into the charger, it's probably indicitive of a hardware issue with the battery. Maybe try cleaning the contacts?
    Even if it still happens on the charger, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't hardware, but it's a good troubleshooting starting point.

Thanks
    Someone elsewhere suggested that heat may be part of the problem. My phone was highly unreliable in the Southwest last month and while looking for a cause of the rebooting problem, many folks thought it just needed to cool down.

My issues began when I tried to use Navigation, but the phone was almost totally useless in Las Vegas even as a phone which was three days afterward. I had to pull the battery to make it stop rebooting, or put it into Airplane Mode just to use the camera. Back home in Kansas, it's only rebooted once. I'd love to know what the problem is as I really like this phone and surely don't want to have these kinds of reliability problems.

Thanks
    Were you outside, in the heat when it kept rebooting?

Thanks
    No, and it was quite mild the whole trip. I think they were referring to an internal heat issue in the phone itself, saying that it might have been the battery heating up. Seemed to occur when I wanted to use any GPS app.

I await my next trip with trepidation.

Thanks
    Try using a battery app that shows the temperature of the battery. That way, you can see how hot it is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by MerpsMom View Post
    No, and it was quite mild the whole trip. I think they were referring to an internal heat issue in the phone itself, saying that it might have been the battery heating up. Seemed to occur when I wanted to use any GPS app.

I await my next trip with trepidation.

Thanks

fix

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyennew View Post
    For no apparent reason, my Evo will decide to reboot, the HTC logo comes on, then after awhile the Sprint 4G logo, then it goes to my home screen for a few seconds, then starts all over again. The only way I've stopped it is by taking the battery out for about an hour. Then when I put it back in, it's usually OK. I work this phone hard, as i'm a real estate agent, so it's super irritating when I have to shut down for awhile. Would love some advice.
    This problem has been with me for 5 months. I am in Florida and as the spring wears on and the days got hotter the problem became more and more prevalent.

I finally found the answer.

Go to menu

Settings, Display, Brightness,

Uncheck and turn off automatic brightness.

Set your brightness at about 50 to 60 percent.

The hotter the ambient temperature the less brightness.

50 to 60 works pretty good.

This has fixed my phone and makes it usable again.

I think that the automatic brightness feature can turn the lamp up so bright the EVO can't keep up with the temperature. This may be a hardware problem and you may want to try other remedies. But this works for me a I have my phone back.

Good luck all.

Skywatcher

Thanks
    Thanx to all for the replies. It started again last Friday when I tapped into Google Navi. Boot loop after boot loop. I took it to the Sprint store, a phone repair center. They said it was probably software and come back in an hour. When they handed it back to me, they had wiped it and done a hard reset. I was shocked. I would have let it cool down, noted all my apps and settings, done some backups, and then let them do the hard reset.

When I went back the next day, I was lucky and got my favorite tech. He gave me a brand new phone. So far, so good! I do have my brightness level set at about 60% and use all the other tips I've read since March. Who knows? Sprint has been great to me and I just hope the phone behaves from now on.

Thanks
    Forgot to mention that the reset didn't work anyway: reboot issue remained.

Thanks
    I'm not saying this is the problem, but on multiple other Sprint phones that I have owned they will automatically update. It will suddenly shut off and come back on at the most random times. It was never from a over heating problem that I knew about. If it is becoming a serious problem I would go into your nearest sprint store to ask them what the problem is. Some times during reboots it will delete a few of your recent text messages as well.

+ Reply to Thread