+ Reply to Thread
Discuss Watching 3D Bluray and videos on the Evo 3D at the How To's and Guides within the HTC Evo 4G Forums, Evo 3D Forums , and Evo View Forums; Hey all, Just finished testing the conversion of 3D video to the Evo 3D. My test bluray was Avatar 3D, ...
    Thanks

Watching 3D Bluray and videos on the Evo 3D

Hey all,
    Just finished testing the conversion of 3D video to the Evo 3D. My test bluray was Avatar 3D, and the final result is fantastic. I feel a greater sense of depth on the Evo than I did in the theater.

How to convert 3D Bluray movies to the Evo 3D:

1. Convert 3D Bluray to .mkv or similar file. For legal and piracy reasons, I won't go into how to rip a Bluray. You'll want to make sure the 3D Mode is set to "Side-by-Side" There are several applications out there that can do this. I used Slysoft AnyDVD HD. Personally, I don't like Slysoft or anything about them, but the software does the job. There are many other alternatives out there. When choosing your settings, try to keep the settings as raw as possible, i.e. 1080p, 20-25Mbps, etc. We'll shrink the file in the next step.

2. Use Badaboom 2.0 or a similar encoding program and re-code the video. I like Badaboom because it is CUDA enabled and cuts my encoding time from a few hours on my i7-960 to about 15 minutes on my nVidia GTX 590. They have a fully unlimited 30-use trial. I recommend the following approximate values:

Resolution: 960x540 or 1280x720
    Bitrate: 1500kpbs-2500kpbs (NOTICE - Image artifacts from a too-heavily compressed video look awful in 3D. It completely destroys the quality of the film and makes motion shudder unrealistically.. Any thing less than 1500kpbs will look terrible. The sweet spot is between 1.5-2.5Mbps.)
    File Format: H.264 with .mp4 or m4v extension
    Audio: 48khz, 128-bit. Naturally, you can increase these values if your listening with high quality headphones, but these settings are more than sufficient for the built in speaker and most people.

If you're limited on hard drive space, go ahead and remove the original 1080p mkv file once you've tested the badaboom conversion.

3. Check the file size and make sure it is a good value. A well encoded 720p 3D movie should be right around 2GB. If the file size is significantly less than this, I again recommend re-encoding at a higher video bit-rate to minimize compression artifacts which will destroy the 3D effect. For some reason, my Evo 3D does not play nicely with files of 2GB. I'm not sure why this is, but it is definitely something HTC needs to take a look at. Especially if anybody plans on streaming 1080p to their TVs.

4. Transfer the file to your movies directory on the Micro-SD card of your Evo 3D.

5.Pull up the gallery, play the video.

6. Pull up the settings while the video is playing, and choose the "Play in 3D" button. You'll receive a warning about playing 2D video, just press OK.

Thats pretty much it! The Evo 3D does the rest from there.

Post here if you have any issues getting 3D Movies working.
    Last edited by emike09; 06-30-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Updated bitrate information

2. The Following User Says Thank You to emike09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome guide. How big was the Avatar file after conversion?
    Phone: HTC EVO 3D
    Rooted: Not yet!
    Stock 3vo...so far.

Thanks
    Thanks! 2.1GB. Still trying to tweak a few things and make it perfect. Minimizing compression while maintaining a small file size is a never ending battle in the video world.

Thanks
    I was having no luck, simply using handbrake. But it looks like I had missed the last step!

6. Pull up the settings while the video is playing, and choose the "Play in 3D" button. You'll receive a warning about playing 2D video, just press OK.

This means you don't even have to use the gallery app. Just use a file browser to locate the file, then choose "View video" from the action popup (if you have other video players installed). Very cool!

Now, if I could just get the audio working, I'll be all set. All I can hear is a constant high pitched squeal, with occasional low pitched low frequency audio and clicks... distortion, in other words. Does it on all the videos I've tried converting. Odd stuff!

Thanks
    any Mp4 converter should work
    but I would tweek the resolution a little

Thanks
    Fixed the audio issues. It needed to be set to stereo not Dolby.

I also thought I'd add that I've had no problems playing a 3.5GB file, even seeking back and forth through the video. Not an ideal size for storing multiple files, but some have been reporting issues with files larger than 2GB, so I figured I'd throw in my 3.5GB flawless experience into the hat.

The only bug I've really found with 3D video playback is that if I pause and turn the phone off, or take a call then go back to the video, it's gone back to SBS and needs to be reset back to 2D, then back to 3D.
    Last edited by purefusion; 07-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    My sound is studdering what could be the problem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emike09 View Post
    Hey all,
    Just finished testing the conversion of 3D video to the Evo 3D. My test bluray was Avatar 3D, and the final result is fantastic. I feel a greater sense of depth on the Evo than I did in the theater.

How to convert 3D Bluray movies to the Evo 3D:

1. Convert 3D Bluray to .mkv or similar file. For legal and piracy reasons, I won't go into how to rip a Bluray. You'll want to make sure the 3D Mode is set to "Side-by-Side" There are several applications out there that can do this. I used Slysoft AnyDVD HD. Personally, I don't like Slysoft or anything about them, but the software does the job. There are many other alternatives out there. When choosing your settings, try to keep the settings as raw as possible, i.e. 1080p, 20-25Mbps, etc. We'll shrink the file in the next step.

2. Use Badaboom 2.0 or a similar encoding program and re-code the video. I like Badaboom because it is CUDA enabled and cuts my encoding time from a few hours on my i7-960 to about 15 minutes on my nVidia GTX 590. They have a fully unlimited 30-use trial. I recommend the following approximate values:

Resolution: 960x540 or 1280x720
    Bitrate: 1500kpbs-2500kpbs (NOTICE - Image artifacts from a too-heavily compressed video look awful in 3D. It completely destroys the quality of the film and makes motion shudder unrealistically.. Any thing less than 1500kpbs will look terrible. The sweet spot is between 1.5-2.5Mbps.)
    File Format: H.264 with .mp4 or m4v extension
    Audio: 48khz, 128-bit. Naturally, you can increase these values if your listening with high quality headphones, but these settings are more than sufficient for the built in speaker and most people.

If you're limited on hard drive space, go ahead and remove the original 1080p mkv file once you've tested the badaboom conversion.

3. Check the file size and make sure it is a good value. A well encoded 720p 3D movie should be right around 2GB. If the file size is significantly less than this, I again recommend re-encoding at a higher video bit-rate to minimize compression artifacts which will destroy the 3D effect. For some reason, my Evo 3D does not play nicely with files of 2GB. I'm not sure why this is, but it is definitely something HTC needs to take a look at. Especially if anybody plans on streaming 1080p to their TVs.

4. Transfer the file to your movies directory on the Micro-SD card of your Evo 3D.

5.Pull up the gallery, play the video.

Thats pretty much it! The Evo 3D does the rest from there.

Post here if you have any issues getting 3D Movies working.
    Dear all
    I do have a different idea for making 3D movies for HTC EVO 3D. Here are the step by step details
    01) The source of 3D movies can be from Bluray discs or Torrents downloads or self made by using the 3d camera in the handsets
    02) The quality of the 3D movies will depend on the size of the file and the encoding software(codec). I dont want to detail regarding Ripping of blurays or downloading torrents. Once you got the movies in the side by side format in your computer hard disc, let us do further process which is detailed from serial No.3
    03) Normally the ripped BD movie or downloaded movie will be very big regarding the size. Your handset capacity is a mere 32 gb. So in order to keep more movies (more than 35 or so), you will have to reduce the size by re-encoding the same with a good encoding software. For me "Hand brake" is a good free software for the job. Start handbrake application. If you dont have it installed, you can download it from net which is free.
    04) Please see that the screen size on your handset is very small. So you can make your movie also small enough to watch it on your handset. In the properties of the encoding movies you can write 960 x 540 as the display resolution.
    05) Next you can choose 800 kbps average bit rate as your video bit rate. For me it is more than sufficient for your handset.
    06) For audio, you can choose 64 kbps sterio encoding which is good enough for your earphones.
    07) Then go to the advance tab where in the bottom add ":frame-packing=3" as an additional meta data information other than the other informations already there. Please remove the quotes before writing the above meta data. This meta data information will help your handset to recognize your movies as 3D movies and will automatically play in 3D.
    08) That is all press the start to start encoding. Encoding time will depend on the speed of your CPU and RAM. Normally a one hour 4GB movie will take about 1hr 30 minuts to get encoded. Your encoded movie with the above said settings will be around 500 mb in size. The quality will be still good. You can transfer the same to your handset memory card through your PC. Once the transfer is completed you can watch the same in 3D...
    That is all friends....enjoy..

+ Reply to Thread