+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Discuss How Do I Remove Facebook "Friends" From My Phone Contacts List? at the How-To's and Guides within the HTC Evo 4G Forums, Evo 3D Forums , and Evo View Forums; Can someone please tell me how to remove all my Facebook friends from my phone dialing list? Long before I ...
    Thanks

How Do I Remove Facebook "Friends" From My Phone Contacts List?

Can someone please tell me how to remove all my Facebook friends from my phone dialing list? Long before I bluetoothed my contacts list over from my old phone, my EVO had all my FB friends listed. I've really tried to figure out how to turn that off or delete those people as contacts, but I can't find it.

Either it doesn't exist or I'm thick in the head. The latter is likely. I just hope I'm not the only one who would like to change this. I tried searching the forums, but came up with nothing so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Also, why can't some apps like NASCAR, stocks, et cetera not be uninstalled? I have about as much use for them as a pig has for a unicycle. I'd just like to keep things clean and simple.

Thanks
    Open People, then hit the Menu button, then View. Deselect FB there.

As for the second, they are preinstalled bloatware, just like when you buy a new computer that's loaded with crap you have no interest in. They see it as a courtesy and figure if they load it, you'll use it. And no, without rooting, there's no way to uninstall them that I can find.

Thanks
    Khassy, I appreciate the help, but I de-selected FB in the People app, and while they don't show when I list all in the people app, the phone dialer still shows FB contacts. You know, when you hit "Phone" on the home screen all the contacts show up on the screen behind the numbers and that's where the FB contacts won't go away and that's *exactly* where I want to get rid of them. I've gotten seriously frustrated with that single issue. Everything you said I did and by all accounts no FB friends should show up, but they do. Guess I'll have to call Sprint and see if they know a trick for killing all the contacts.

I was worried that the bloatware couldn't be uninstalled. That's too bad because it goes against what I thought Android was going to stand for, which was open-sourced and configurable. Forcing apps on all customers that many, if not most, don't want sounds more like a Microsoft move. That's not the kind of thing Google is supposed to stand for. If it's Sprint or HTC forcing it on us then they should be taken to task for cluttering our screens with unwanted apps.

I bought three of these phones, with a fourth on the way and I'm most definitely steamed about both of these issues.

Thanks
    From another forum: I've heard it was the sense UI that does this. Its because you are logged in on friendstream, the UI will drag the information from there and bring it onto your contact list. Disable your facebook log in by going to menu--> settings--> Account & Sync --> Manage account ---> uncheck Sync contacts or just remove the account.

As far as the bloatware, I agree. But I just remove the widgets from the screen and I don't have to worry about them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks
    Does that mean that if I want my FB contacts off my phone list then I basically can't use FB through my phone? Or do you mean disabling friendstream alone will solve my issue? I'm sorry for being so clueless, but with so little time using this phone that's just what I am; clueless.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Thanks
    I haven't tried it but from the description, it sounds as though you are merely disabling the contact syncing. I haven't got many contacts from FB that aren't real-life friends, so I'm not sure exactly how it will work.

What has worked best for me is simply using the people widget and putting the contacts I use most on it. I use the full screen widget with 12 contacts on it. Makes it much easier for me. I also use direct shortcuts for messaging and phoning my family. That makes it a one-click deal to open either the messaging window or the phone dialer for them.

Thanks
    I've actually got less than 40 friends on Facebook and all but 2 are either relatives or "real life" friends. The other 2 are friends of relatives whom I've sort-of come to know via FB banter and they sent me friend requests, so I accepted rather than appear rude. My general rule for FB is if I don't know you in "real life" I won't be your friend. The problem is a lot of my relatives live all over the country and many of them are children of cousins so I don't need all that in my phone list.

I'll just start using the people widget since it's set up to not show FB or Google contacts, just the ones I've either bluetoothed from my old phone or added manually. That sounds like an excellent workaround, but I still contend that Google or HTC or Sprint or the Keebler Elves (whoever does the programming of these types of functions) needs to add in an option for cleaning up the default call list when you hit the "phone" button. I have a list of FB friends because I contact them through FB and I have a phone list because I call those people. If we turned this situation on its head and said the phone added your call list to FB as friends that would seem ridiculous! It's the same thing, only with the flow reversed. (I sure hope those elves are listening!)

Again, thank you most sincerely for your excellent responses. You've got some great workarounds that I can live with, but I'll still campaign for making the default phone list just a PHONE list and not all my FB friends, people I saw at the mall, everyone named "Susan" just because I said that name near my phone, et cetera!

Thanks
    Heheh, I agree. And you're welcome.

Thanks
    First of all android is ran by linux not windows and all you have to do to get those forced apps off of your phone is to put a new operating system on it. When sprint puts an os on a phone they most likely rig it to thier liking ie ads forced apps ect.

Thanks
    just remove the account go to settings--->Accounts and sync--->click on the account and tell it to remove the account at the bottom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast